Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I Can't Get No Satisfaction

I just had to put this up.

NPR's Fresh Air interviews Rolling Stones Keith Richards:

In an interview on Fresh Air, Richards recounts how he woke up just long enough to record the famous opening riff of "Satisfaction" on a cassette player he'd placed next to his bed.

"I go to bed as usual with my guitar, and I wake up the next morning, and I see that the tape is run to the very end," Richards tells Terry Gross. "And I think, 'Well, I didn't do anything. Maybe I hit a button when I was asleep.' So I put it back to the beginning and pushed play and there, in some sort of ghostly version, is [the opening lines to 'Satisfaction']. It was a whole verse of it. And after that, there's 40 minutes of me snoring. But there's the song in its embryo, and I actually dreamt the damned thing."

Einstein had dreamy thoughts about the relativistic nature of space-time. Keith Richards dreamt up the most famous guitar riff in rock and roll.

Creativity is a funny beast.

No comments:

Post a Comment